30-Hour Construction Industry Outreach Training Program
The 30-hour General Industry Outreach Training Program is intended to provide a variety of training to people with some safety responsibility. Workers must receive additional training on hazards specific to their job. Training should emphasize hazard identification, avoidance, control and prevention, not OSHA standards. John Costa & Associates will provide this type of training. Instructional time is a minimum of 30 hours.
Breakdown of the tropics is as follows:
- 2 hours Introduction to OSHA including:
- OSH Act, General Duty Clause , Employer and Employee Rights and Responsibilities, Whistleblower Rights, Recordkeeping basic.
- Inspections, Citations, and Penalties
- General Safety and Health Provisions, Competent Person Subpart C
- Value of Safety and Health
- OSHA Website, OSHA 800 number and available resources
- Focus Four Hazards – at Least Five Hours
- Electrical, Subpart K (e.g., overhead power lines, power tools and cords, temporary wiring , grounding)
- Fall Protection, Subpart M (e.g., floors, platforms, roofs)
- Struck By (e.g., falling objects, trucks, cranes, constructing masonry walls)
- Caught in/between (e.g., trench hazards, unguarded machinery, equipment)
- Personal Protective and Livesaving Equipment, subpart E – 2 hours
- Health Hazards in Construction (incl. hazard communication & crystalline silica) — 2 hours
- Stairway and Ladders, Subpart X – 1 hour
Elective Topics will make up the remaining 18 hours. e.g.:
- STD 3-1.1, “Clarification of Citation Policy Regarding 29 CFR 1926.20m, 29 CFR 1926.21 and Related General Safety and Health Provisions”; Safety Programs
- Fire Protection and Prevention, Subpart F
- Materials Handling, Storage, Use and Disposal, Subpart H
- Tool – Hand and Power, Subpart I
- Welding and Cutting, Subpart J
- Scaffold, Subpart L
- Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Elevators, and Conveyors, Subpart N
- Motor Vehicles, Mechanized Equipment and Marine operations; Rollover Protective Structures and Overhead Protection; and Signs, Signals and Barricades, Subparts O, W and G
- Excavations, Subpart P
- Concrete and Masonry Construction, Subpart Q
- Steel Erection, Subpart R
- Confined Space Entry
- Powered Industrial Vehicles
A 50 question quiz will be given to determine the knowledge of each employee that attends.
To see when the next training session will be conducted go to www.outreachtrainers.org and click on the course you are interested in, or call our office to set up a training session.
Record keeping is a must when conducting training for your employees. After a course is completed John Costa & Associates will send you the necessary paperwork to add to your records.
English and Spanish classes are available.